Golf Screening in Dubai, UAE. Movement efficiency is key to all sporting activities. Golf is no exception. In golf, we aim to combine a sequence of very complex, novel movements repetitively to create the perfect swing. With this complexity, sometimes things can go wrong.
Injuries in golf are common. Research suggests up to 60% of professional golfers experience some form of injury in a season. In the amateur ranks this figure is around 40%.
The 5 most common injuries in golf
- Lower back (Up to 8 times our body weight can be passed through the lower back during the swing)
The 3 key causes of injury based on research are:
- Overuse: overtraining or a rapid increase in practice/playing time
- Incorrect technique: leading to increased loads in structures not designed to take the additional stress
- Trauma: From impact with objects,
Unfortunately, injury risk is a part of any sport and physical activity. Fortunately, we can limit this risk by preparing our bodies for the demands it is about to face. A Biomechanical Screen in golf breaks down some of the key components of the swing to allow us to assess them. From the screen report, we can then target areas for improvement more objectively. Moving better allows us not only to reduce the risk of injury, but it also allows us to improve performance.
The Screen assesses two main components:
1. Mobility: range of motion (in the foot & ankle, the pelvis & hips, the Thoracic region and the shoulders) and flexibility (in key areas including around the hips and the posterior chain musculature).
2. Stability: This includes assessment 0f balance, strength and control in the main muscles involved in the movement chain
The information obtained from the screen can be shared with your Golf Professional/Coach and can then be used by your Physiotherapist or Strength & Conditioning Specialist to plan a more targeted conditioning programme to improve your game!
Every golf swing is different and this is true even at the elite level. The aim is to find a swing that works for you and then make sure that your body has the mobility, control and strength required to perform this swing repeatedly. Remember, efficiency is the key.
Book a biomechanical golf assessment with Michael Mefo!